Zoe and Karen have recently undertaken the passive house designer course, and after passing the grueling exam, ZGA STUDIO is proud to have 2 certified Passive House Designers amongst its ranks. We are very much looking forward to bringing the science of building physics into our design practice- to deliver high performance buildings that have up to 90% less operational energy costs (low or no bills) and have healthy, comfortable internal environments.
Passive House is an internationally recognised voluntary building standard known to be the most stringent in the world. Energy consumption and thermal comfort has consistently been shown to match that of the predicted levels through the rigorous modelling. This is a major point of difference to a NatHERS-rated houses, which consistently perform much worse than predicted, especially in summer.
Advantages of a Passive House certified building:
- Year-round thermal comfort
- High indoor air quality free of dust, radon, mould and condensation
- Increased resilience during heat waves and for a changing climate
- Improved thermal and acoustic insulation
- Low, (or potentially zero) energy consumption and ongoing bills
- Rigorous modelling and blower door test requirements guarantees air-tightness and actual performance
- Small additional upfront investment on building cost results in net financial gain after pay-back period- with extremely low or no on-going energy bills for the life of the building